This comes from Michael Willers, by way of Dana Epp. This makes it easier to install .msi packages when logged in as a non-admin use. Too many home PC’s are running in Admin mode, one of the many reasons why we have so many virus attacks out there.
If you run your box with a non admin account the “Run as…” entry in the context menu is very comfortable. Wouldn’t it be nice to have something like “Install as…” for MSI-Packages? This is just a registry hack away
- Run regedit.exe under an account with administrative privileges
- Create the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\runas\
- Set the default value to Install &as…
- Create the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\runas\command\
- Set the default value to msiexec /i “%1”